Sunday 28 April 2013

Two weeks in USA!

So, I have had a very interesting two weeks!  Orientation was fun-the being with other girls and NYC, the meetings are not quite as fun! Then I went to Natick MA to visit my old host family.  It was SO SO awesome to see them again, and to hang out. I spent Thurs, Fri and Sat nights with them, which by the time it was Sunday, felt waaaayy too short! I left Tarrytown in NY, and got on a train called Amtrak. As I was getting on the train someone said to me, 'hey I think you dropped something...', so i looked down under the train, which was about 2m and there was lying my PASSPORT!!!!! no way for me to get it, yet it was so close to me!! There was literally nothing I could do! :( BUT luckily there was an Aupair in America representative on the platform and she sorta ran and yelled after the train that she would get it and mail it to me! So there was some hope for me, but I was stressing!
I got my South African phone out, and put it on emergency call (because it doesnt work in USA) and prayed  that it would work,and luckily it did-so I called the Aupair emergency line and told the lady on the other end the story, anyway within 15min, Stephanie emailed me, she was the lady on the platform and she said that she had my passport and would mail it to San Francisco. PHEWWW!!!!  So besides that little hiccup, Natick was super fun!
I was in MA when the Boston police was looking for the bombers of the race, so there was a horrible sense around as everyone was still very shocked and upset about it all-but luckily Natick is far enough out of the city that we were not in lockdown or anything and could go on with the day as usual!

Sunday came and it was time for me to finally get on the way to San Fran!!
My flight was at 15.30, but due to the bombings and me not having a passport,I got to the airport before 13.00, just to make sure everything was ok.  The security checks were crazy-more hectic than iv ever experienced! and the flight was looonng!! especially after travelling so much! But I made it here safe and sound!!! 
Lynn picked me up from the Airport and I was welcomed home by huge hugs from the girls, drawings, presents, flowers and 'welcome to san francisco' signs! It was awesome!

Im so happy with my location in San Fran, my host family, my house and room....I am just waiting on a couple more friends!!

1 comment:

  1. so many excitements in one post... gosh the PASSPORT!! anyway i am so glad you got there safe :)

    ReplyDelete